Full-Time Opportunity Available Now
Overview: Smith & Company Certified Public Accountants (SCPAS) is seeking a motivated,
experienced professional to join the team as the Chief Operations Officer. This executive-level position will work directly with the Owner to lead the day-to-day operations of the firm and achieve its long-term goals. The candidate should have significant management experience, a strong financial and accounting background, and a track record of successfully working with executives to develop and implement business strategy.
Strategy Development & Implementation
● Partner with the owner to develop and implement a strategic plan to achieve SCPAS’s
business and financial goals; proactively advise on and enact changes to improve client
services, internal operations, and firm culture.
● Serve as the key liaison between the owner and staff, and ensure efficient communication of key priorities across the firm.
● Work with the Executive Assistant to ensure the owner’s time is optimized by streamlining review processes, advising on strategic engagements, and flagging critical
developments for action and decision-making.
● Ensure the performance and accountability of all tax preparers and administrative associates.
● Formalize office structure and establish channels for improved internal communications
● Directly supervise Executive Assistant, Senior Administrative Associate, and Chief
● Provide close mentorship and training to all managers at the firm.
● Ensure office procedures and systems are efficient and modernized including workflow
and software platforms; recommend and enact revisions.
● Revise and formalize office policies for client management including processes for
acceptance and retention.
● Responsible for the firm’s internal technology including supervision of IT service
● Lead HR functions including recruiting, performance evaluation, onboarding, benefits
administration, and retention efforts including training and mentorship programs.
● Coordinate marketing efforts and external communications for the firm.
● Work with the Chief Financial Office to ensure alignment between business strategy,
operations, and financial activities; monitor profitability and financial reporting.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree.
● At least 10 years of management and leadership experience, including supervision of
multiple direct reports.
● Prior experience working in an accounting or financial services firm.
● Strong financial background
● Strong leadership, mentoring and management skills
● Able to work full-time in-person in the San Rafael, CA office (no remote option).
● Excellent organizational and analytical skills
● Self-starter and drive to contribute to a dynamic collaborative team environment
● Excellent verbal and written communications skills
● MS Office (Excel, Outlook, Word) proficiency
● Master’s degree in business administration or CPA license preferred.
● Experience in a COO/Chief of Staff role and directly supporting organizational leadership
in achieving their goals
● Knowledge of Lacerte, Quickbooks, BigTime
Benefits & Perks Include:
● Comprehensive health insurance, 401k with matching, generous vacation and holidays
● Genuine commitment to the team’s work-life balance (4-day work weeks May-July)
● Family-like culture (Friday Happy Hour, staff outings, potluck lunches/BBQ’s)
● Commitment to the staff’s professional development including CPA exam fee
reimbursement and continuing education
Please send your resume and cover letter in a single PDF with the subject line “Name – COO” to email@example.com